Thursday, August 2, 2012

Breakfast (literally meaning "breaking the fast" of the night)


I’m a firm believer in breakfast…   This has not always been the case.  In recent years I’ve experienced the great benefits of starting my day off with protein, fiber and a small amount of carbs.  However, I’ve also found it difficult to vary my breakfast menu.  So I’d thought I’d embark on the journey to discover new ways to start my day. 
Now, I’m a southern girl, growing up on biscuits and gravy, sausage, bacon and fried eggs and while that will for sure fill you up, you can also feel your arteries clogging with every bite.    Lately I’ve discovered the 100 calorie English Muffins, great toasted with some light creamy Swiss cheese spread and a hard-boiled egg.  Winter time always finds me looking for a hot bowl of oatmeal.  I did smoothies for a while but they got boring, protein dinks get old fast too.  Austin loves chocolate chip waffles but I know those aren’t on my low fat, low sugar, high fiber health plan (I hate the word diet). 

So, here I am on my journey cooking breakfast for one, usually, and trying to keep it fast and healthy.  Luckily I have a Pinterest addiction, offering me a wide arranges of recipes, tips and tricks for accomplishing my goal. 

Today I’ve planned to cook up baked oatmeal muffins thanks to Sugar-Free Mom.  It promises to be diabetic friendly, easy and portable.  I’m sure to make variations along the way.  I can already tell you I plan on using some apples brought to us from our landlords in some of the muffins.  But the details of my baking will follow.  For now, take the time to consider starting your day with a bite of nutrition instead of that donut and danish.

No comments:

Post a Comment