Sunday, August 12, 2012

Have you planted your "Victory Garden"?


This week marks one the most important victories in history.  August 14, 1945 or the 15th depending on the time zone, marked the end of a tragic time in world history.  It is the day that the Allied forces declare victory over Japan.  Most of us will not even skip a beat this week to consider this a date of importance, let alone take the time to reflect on its meaning.

But as some of you may or may not know, I’m a junkie for WWII.  I’m not sure what it is that draws me into this tumultuous era of our great country’s history.  Maybe it’s the thought of all American’s banding together with other great nations to take on and conquer the evil and unjust acts of those determined to crush all that we hold dear.  Maybe it’s the fact that I was blessed to grow up with great grandparents that lived to tell of times unlike I could even imagine.  I’ve always wanted to go back and talk one last time with my Papa and ask him how it was he managed to come home from the Philippines and how he kept his faith.

This is an odd subject to be posting with my kitchen adventures of breakfast muffins and crock pot creations.  But, during one my WWII junkie moments I pondered, what I thought was an interesting thought, what was life like living off war time rations?  Can you imagine if our fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan meant you couldn’t have that precious morning Starbucks?  Would we as a country support our men and women by giving up sugar and flour?  Not only were American’s giving up foods, but other things such and gasoline and rubber.  Can you imagine only driving 35 miles an hour to save fuel?  They called it the Victory Speed.  In today’s time of hurry up and get there we’d called it the Inconvenient Speed

So back to my kitchen question… how did the women do it?  How do you cook for growing kids and wounded soldiers with no sugar, cheese, eggs, milk or red meat?  Well, you get creative!  You plant a Victory Garden and you make the best of what you have or don’t have for that matter.  After thinking about his I find the daunting task of deciding what to cook each night humorous given my well stocked pantry, fridge and freezer.  While unlikely that we’ll ever be asked to give up so much for war; it does make me wonder if there isn’t more I could be doing to support those fighting for my freedom today.  It brings about a new appreciation for those serving, as they ask nothing of me but I ask them to risk it all so that I can safely drive 60mph, eat steak and have dessert with no fear.  Thank you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment